"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you..." 1 Corin. 12:9

Thursday, January 6, 2011

2011 Bible Reading Plan


What to do, what to do?  I had the hardest time deciding.  But, I decided not to read through the whole Bible this year.  Whew!  That was a relief and a sorrow all at the same time.  I have read through the Bible for the past 5 years.  But, I felt like I was doing too much 'skimming' last year, just to get through the check off list.  I didn't have time to really stop and meditate, or I would fall behind.  THAT is not productive spiritually.  God's not interested in my checklist.  He wants my heart.

So I prayed.

And talked to the dh.

And prayed.

And talked to myself.  (Scary, I know.)

Background:  Our family has been watching/discussing the Truth Project at church on Sunday evenings.  In this series, Dr. Tackett was quoting the book of John and talking about all the 'nuggets' of insight you can find in that book.  So the idea came into my head to do what I had done with my friend Brandy once (only with all the John books).  She and I read through James chapter by chapter.  We read 1 chapter a week.  Then we discussed it.  Well...I don't have anyone to discuss with this time, but I still thought this method would be enjoyable.

So instead of getting the broad overview, this year, like a submariner, I am heading for the depths.  I read a quote that "Wednesdays with Beth Moore" sent me over on Facebook.  It says, "We live two miles wide and an inch deep.  We are totally caught up in a thousand different things, and not doing any of them well.  You and I become effective when we become selective."  I have been meditating on that, off and on, for about 6 months.  I want to be like a deep, refreshing well, not just a little trickling brook.  And this year's scheme will help me to accomplish that in God's Word.  Maybe it will help me to apply it in other areas of my life as well.

I figure it will take me about 1/2 the year to get through John, 1John, 2John, and 3John.  I will read Revelation as well, but I doubt I read each chapter of that for a week.  We'll see.  I also plan to read a Psalm each day and part of a chapter in Proverbs.  Each of those goals will be flexible.  If I am meditating on a verse and don't have time to get through the whole regimen, FINE!

FREEDOM!!!

I have been doing this for all of 5 days so far...and so far...I LOVE IT!

So, join me, if you'd like.  And whenever I post my nuggets, we can discuss it in the Comments option on here or over on FB.  Or you can just read what I'm learning and do the thing God has challenged you to do.  Either way, GET IN THE WORD!!!  It will work in you and change you and help you be like Jesus.

GOD'S WORD IS AMAZING!!!

AND

SO IS HE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment