"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you..." 1 Corin. 12:9

Monday, August 13, 2018

A Christian Worldview

A worldview is a system of core attitudes, beliefs and values. Another word for FAITH.

Everyone has a worldview. Some agree on some points. Some are diametrically opposed.

The Holy Word of God is my worldview. All my philosophies and assumptions rest at its tried and trusted feet. "The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple" (Psalm 19:7).

We are homeschoolers. My youngest son, who is 16, and I are studying psychology from a Christian worldview perspective this school year. We are on Chapter 2, A Christian Worldview of Homeschool Psych by Tim Rice, D. Min, LPC. So far, the book is an interesting read (if you don't let typos get to you). Rice points out that many basic assumptions in Christianity and psychology are diametrically opposed.

The author is very firm about every person thinking through their worldview, their faith-filter, for life. We hear all kinds of information and ideas every day. We must sort them, keeping or tossing them as they measure up or fail to. Our framework for answering all the big questions helps us through all these decisions. If you have a worldview based on wisdom, you will, most likely, make wiser decisions.

I know the wisest One of all. He has allowed me to know Him by revealing Himself through His written Word with the illumination and understanding provided by the working of His Holy Spirit in my heart and mind. He has motivated me and helped me to memorize some of His written wisdom. Now He uses all this wisdom implanted in my heart and mind to weave together into guidance in all my ponderings, if I will but choose to consult with Him. What a privilege and an honor!

5 crucial questions I need to think through to begin formulating my written statement of worldview are:

*What do you believe about God?
*What is the nature of Mankind?
*How can we know things with certainty?
*Are there moral absolutes?
*What are the causes of and the cures for abnormal thoughts, feelings, and behaviors?

Somewhat of a daunting task. But, I can do it over time. I pretty much know what I think in my head. I just need to put it all down in writing to form more coherent responses when asked to give the reason for the hope that I have (1 Peter 3:15).

Knowing precisely what I believe is one way I will be able to more readily take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

This is our final year of homeschooling. My final year to be the main input in my boys' education. I'm trying to pack it with as much Truth as possible. Because, "Truth is not merely a personal preference. It is objective and absolute and can be diligently searched out" (Tim Rice, Homeschool Psych, p. 11). I want them to know they can know the Truth and stand on it and be set free by it. Because Jesus is the Truth, and we can stand on Him; He is the Rock of our salvation.

Z

No comments:

Post a Comment