"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you..." 1 Corin. 12:9

Monday, May 31, 2010

Fret not yourself...

Did you know that Psalm 37 says this phrase, "Fret not yourself...," three times in the first eight verses?

Hmmm...Do you think He means it?

Verse 8 states it pretty strongly:  "...fret not yourself---it tends only to evildoing."

I've also read that the Word says to "fear not" 365 times.
One for each day of the year.

Hmmm...Do you think He means it?

And then there is always Philippians 4:6 (NIV)  "Do not be anxious about anything..."
SO...

Here's a conversation I have frequently 
with the LORD, my Rock of Faithfulness:

Me:  "Well, then LORD, what am I supposed to do when things are feeling out of control?"

Philippians 4:6 (NIV)  "...but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

1Peter 5:7a (Amp.)  "Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all you concerns, once and for all] on Him..."

Psalm 37:3-7(Amp.)  "Trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) in the LORD and do good; so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed.  Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart.  Commit your way to the LORD [roll and repose each care of your load on Him]; trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) also in Him and He will bring it to pass.  Be still and rest in the LORD; wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him..."


Me:  "Well, if I don't fret, LORD, what will I do?"

Psalm 46:10a (NIV)  "Be still and know that I AM God."


Me:  "If I don't fret, LORD, what can I count on You to do for me?"


Philippians 4:7 (NIV)  "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."


Psalm 37:3-7(Amp.)  "...so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed.  Delight yourself in the LORD, and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart....He will bring it to pass."


Me:  "And, why should I trust You?"

1Peter 5:7b (Amp.)  "...for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully."


Hmmm...I think He means it.

This is a lesson the LORD has spoken to me about and tried me on 
and led me through over and over again.

I'll just think I've finally gotten it, "once and for all" 
and then something difficult will happen and 
I'll feel my nerves jump and 
my neck will start burning.


Like last night, for instance:

My son was out in the yard, where my husband has stashed old fence pieces while he is putting in the new, and he was climbing on the pieces.  He stepped on a rusty nail and it went through his shoe.  He came to tell us about it.  Before I even knew the full story, anxiety leaped upon me, burning neck and all.  Praise the LORD, upon inspection of his foot, no puncturing had occurred.  Whew!  Crisis averted.


How I would love, however, to get to the place 
where my heart leaps instantly into trustful peace,
instead of into instant fretfulness.  

Because I agree with the LORD, 
fretting does lead only to evildoing, 

AND ulcers!


Back to my constant prayer:  

"Please change me, LORD.  
If You don't help me, I'll NEVER
be any better than I am.  

HELP!!!"


Plus a song for good measure:

Change my heart, O God.  
Make it ever true.  
Change my heart, O God.  
May I be like You.

No comments:

Post a Comment