"But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you..." 1 Corin. 12:9

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Gleanings - John - Chapter 10

The Gate.  The Good Shepherd.  The Son of God.  So many names for Jesus, and all of them wonderful!

He's the Gate, the 'Way' in.  The ONLY Way in.  Freely offering eternal life to anyone who will adhere to Him in belief and obedience.

He's the Good Shepherd.  He sacrificed Himself for the good of the sheep, even giving His Own Life.  He did it freely, willingly.  No one could have taken His Life; He had to give it.  After all, no one can over-power the Almighty.

It still floors me that the Almighty God of the Universe would humble Himself to come in the form of a baby, grow-up as a human boy into a man in a poor to average family, and then consent to die for sinners.  All for us.  Mind-blowing.  Especially when you consider Ephesians 1:3-7 which says that this was His plan from before He ever created man.  He knew He would have to do this for us and made us anyway.  Mind-boggling.



How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.




How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory.




Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers.




It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished.
His dying breath has brought me life.
I know that it is finished.




I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death, and resurrection.




Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer.
But this I know with all my heart,
His wounds have paid my ransom.
 
(Stuart Townend, How Deep the Father's Love for Us)



I love how Jesus talks about sheep and how they will only follow their own shepherd.  That they know his voice and will follow no other.  He says this is how we should be as believers.  We should get to know His Voice so well that when an imposter comes, we won't be fooled.

I love the wonderful promise in this chapter that says, "No one can snatch them out of My Hand. (v28)"

Jesus says a couple of times in this chapter that He and the Father are One.  Inseparable.  What I think is astounding is that, in John 17:20-23, Jesus says WE are One with Them.  That's how I want to be.  Inseparable from God.  That just like with Jesus was with the Father, people can't look at me without seeing Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment